Today was a big day for Matthew. We started with the second day of school. His pre-school is a co-op, and today was my day to stay. I had a blast with all the little two-year-olds. I was amazed at how well behaved they all were. It was neat getting to see Matthew in that kind of setting, to see him listen so well to another adult, and to interact with other kids.
The other big part of the day was that Matthew pooped on the potty!! (And if you don't want the details, stop reading here!) That is a huge deal, being that we aren't even thinking about potty training. He has recently started telling me that he has already gone potty in his diaper, which I knew was a good sign. But I wasn't planning on making any drastic training moves until well after the baby was here, maybe in the winter. This afternoon he told me he needed to go, and agreed to go sit on the potty. We both sat on the potty so I could keep him company. He handed me a magazine and said "mommy read". I started reading the article to him. I kept asking if he was all done (his diaper was warm when I took it off, so I didn't expect anything at all.) He kept saying no. Next thing I knew, he had pooped in the potty. I think I might have scared him in all my excitement. He was most excited to tell Daddy. I asked him who he wanted to call, and he kept saying Daddy. He knew Daddy would be proud too. Matthew was thrilled with his M&M's, and the pack of cars he got when Daddy got home. We've probably trained him to expect cars every time....but I'm so excited I don't care.
After he was done, we dumped his little potty into the big potty and he got to flush (which is probably enough of an incentive for him on its own!) And as he flushed, he said his notorious "bye-bye, pee pee" as it all went down!
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
A potty victory! That is something to get super excited about!! I kind of think about it like the $1 drinks at McDonalds. You keep getting it and getting it until you are finally addicted. Once they have you really hooked, they pull it away, but you are still hooked, at $1.75. So, let him get addicted to M&M's for a while and meanwhile he'll learn to potty:) OK, it is late and I shouldn't be rambling like this. Yeah Matthew!
WooHoo! Way to go, Matthew!!!
I vaguely remember those days...LOL Congrats to all of you on this glorious occasion! Karen
Post a Comment