Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Lessons on Patience

Well, the doctor who predicted they wouldn't see me this week at my appointment was wrong! All that excitement and hype pretty much led to some stress and anxiety that could have been avoided. Don't get me wrong, it was kind of fun for awhile thinking the baby could be here so soon. But after a week of sitting on the edges of our seats, we're getting a little worn out. In talking to lots of people, it can be quite normal to walk around at 4 cm dilated for weeks (and some people have even ended up being late!!) While I'm glad the little bun in the oven has a little more time to bake, I'm ready to meet him or her and get this show on the road.

Here are the stats from today. I am still 4 cm dilated and 70% effaced. The baby is head down and ready to go. The heartbeat was 160 today (151 last week and somewhat consistently in the 130's for a couple weeks before that). I met the new doctor today. We had a new doctor start at our practice at the beginning of this month. So far I am not a huge fan - probably because I had to wait an hour to see her, and my appointment was at 10 in the morning (why are you running that far behind so early in the morning?) She pretty much treated me like a textbook patient, not making any attempt to talk to me more personably. She didn't really give me the time of day and barely took the time to answer my questions. Even though last week's doctor gave us all that excitement, at least she took interest in us, got excited with us, and acted like I was a real person.

At Finneytown, there were three teachers all due within 2-3 weeks of each other. The first had her baby last night (9 lbs. 1 oz!!!!) Now we're excited who will be next. Hopefully me!!

So for now, we're still waiting. It has to happen eventually (and it's hard to believe that I really still have over three weeks until my due date. I feel like it should be sooner!) After finding out which doctors are on call this week, I'd really like to wait until at least Friday. But, we'll be ready and excited whenever it happens! And if it's not this week, it's back to the doctor next Tuesday.

No comments: