Friday, October 3, 2008

A Week of Firsts

It's hard to believe it's been a week since we last posted....time flies when you're not sleeping! Life tends to feel like one long day, even though it's been a week :) We've had lots of "firsts" this week with Jacob, although that's pretty much the theme of the first year of life! We are all still doing very well, but I think some of the initial excitement is starting to wear off and exhaustion is setting in.

We had a fabulous two weeks with David at home. I really don't know how I would have survived the time without him. We spent most of the two weeks with David taking care of Matthew and me taking care of Jacob. We also made sure to make the most of our time by spending good family time together. Many of our "firsts" were from things we made a point to do during this special time. Here is our list of "firsts" over the last week or so.

1. Jacob's first bath
Don't most babies hate being naked and cry when they are? Jacob just laid on the towel, no noise, and looked around. When he got wet, he shivered, but still no protest. I was so surprised! He loved having his hair washed. Here is a picture of the bath (and to be honest, we had to stage a picture. We had one on the camera and I accidently deleted it. So we attempted to recreate the event!)

2. First trip to the zoo
On Tuesday we all went to the zoo as a family. Matthew was so excited to show Jacob the elephants. It seems like elephants might be becoming Matthew's favorite animal. Matthew was a great big brother, walking around the zoo himself for the most part. We were all disappointed when the train wasn't working, but fortunately the carousel was! Matthew also wanted Jacob to see the giraffes. We made our way around most of the zoo and had a fabulous time.

3. First time to Chuck E. Cheese
Matthew and I have been to Chuck E. Cheese a couple times recently with Melissa and Natalie (David's cousin), but we had never gone as a family. I always thought of Chuck E. Cheese as a place you go for special occasions or birthdays, but really, it's a very reasonable place to go to just have some fun.

Something that has become important to both David and me is to make sure we spend alone time with each kid. So, while we were all there together as a family, we also tried to make sure to focus in on Matthew. Here is a clip of Matthew and Daddy havimg a blast.


4. First cousin (on one side of the family)
Growing up, my mom's side of the family was always mostly women. Family gatherings were Grammy, my aunt, my mom, my cousin Laurie, me, and the one and only guy, Ricky. Dynamics started to change a little when Laurie and I both got married and brought David and Brent into the mix. Well, suddenly, the men out number the women! With the addition of Matthew and Jacob, and now as of 10/2/2008, little Oliver Leon, there are now more boys than girls!! Oh how the holidays will change over the next couple years as these little ones grow older!!


5. First Parade
While he slept through the whole thing, Jacob went to his first parade. It was a special parade because his big brother Matthew and his Daddy were in it. Thursday night was Finneytown's Homecoming Parade. David got to walk in it because he is a staff member. Matthew went with him (and went most of the way on David's shoulders...what a trooper David was!!) Matthew has been talking non stop about the parade, throwing candy, and seeing all the people. It's a great memory for all of us!
6. First day back to work/First day on my own with both kids
All good things must come to an end....David had to go back to work today after two weeks at home. It's nice that it's a Friday - only one day and then the weekend. No one in our family was looking forward to today. We've all really enjoyed our time together. While it's been hard work adjusting to life as a family of four, it's been a special time. David was so awesome the whole time. He worked so hard to make sure I could rest and so that I wouldn't feel like I needed to be doing housework. But now it's back to the grind. David was a champ last night and stayed up with Jacob from 12-3 (sleeping with him on his chest) so that I could finally get some sleep. Then he had to get up at 5 for FATHERS. I'm sure he's beat today.

We've done pretty well at home today. Jacob was the most tended to, being bathed and dressed. Matthew is dressed (not matching, but dressed!). And I'm still in my pajamas at 1:30 in the afternoon. At least I got my teeth brushed! I know each day will get better - I'm setting small goals each day. Monday is to get dressed and Tuesday might be to shower and get dressed before David gets home!! :)

It's now nap time and two out of three of us are quiet and sleeping. I'm going to go join the crowd! :) That's it for now!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

How is it possible that you look this good after having a baby two weeks ago???? Looks like staying busy with the boys was the answer. Hope your having a blast.