Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What a Day!

Here's a story for you if you need a pick-me-up. You can tell yourself "at least I didn't do that!" Sunday at church, I was sitting on the ground in the nursery with Jacob in my arms. I went to get up quickly to go get something. My foot got caught in my dress and I stumbled all the way across the room. I took several steps trying to catch my balance, but really, I just picked up some momentum. I ended up wiping out, very hard, on the ground, with Jacob still in my arms. I'm sure it was quite a scene to watch. I managed to get carpet burn all over my face - all around my right eye, forehead, in between my eyes. I scraped on my right foot and left knee and somehow managed to land on my left shoulder in such a way that it likely popped out of socket. I'm not totally sure what happened. I just know that my whole arm went numb and I couldn't move it for a few minutes. Now it's really sore and a little swollen. I also bashed Jacob's head into the ground. Luckily it was his forehead, the hardest part of his head. He's totally fine - no bruise! So really, it was pretty ridiculous. I mean, who does that?

Today as I was out and about I noticed that very few people would actually make eye contact with me because of the scrapes on my face. It gave me a little insight into how people with permanent deformities feel. I don't think people mean to do it. They just don't know how to react or what to say. It was interesting, but not really an experiment that I recommend for others to try :)

The other crazy event of the day came in the evening. David and I decided to go out to dinner for our anniversary, despite our insane morning. We left both boys with my mom. After dinner, we called to check in and see if we had time to get ice cream. I asked her if everything was okay. She said, "It is now..." So here's the story...she took the boys for a walk to the lake by her house. There is a big fish they keep trying to find. My mom saw it. So she stopped the stroller and walked close to the lake to try to find it. As she was looking, the stroller continued to roll on its own, all the way into the lake, with both boys inside!! It flipped upside down, putting both kids under the water. She had one of those super adrenaline moments and was able to flip the stroller out of the water. As she screamed for help, there was a man nearby who came to help her get the kids and the stroller out of the lake. Wow...so scary for everyone. I try not to think about the other alternatives to the end of that story, but it's hard not to...We are so thankful that God was really watching out for us on that day, and that after all was said and done, everyone was okay. We have a few cuts and bruises, but we're fine.

And we hope to never have another anniversary like that again!

No comments: