Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Boy Who Didn't Talk

About a month ago I was starting to get a little concerned about Jacob's lack of talking. I wasn't really worried...just starting to think he was just more "non verbal" than our other sun (chuckle, chuckle). I was figuring I'd ask about it at Jacob's two year appointment. Well, suddenly, Jacob has burst out with so much more language. It's amazing how that happens. They go from saying hardly anything, to labeling everything they see and do. I'm always amazed at how he can observe and say something I either didn't notice or take for granted. For example, he is amazing at hearing any airplane in the sky when I wouldn't even think twice about it. He commentates our drives, saying "up" and "down" and "weeee" when we go up and down hills. Here is a list of words he is saying. I started making this list a week or so ago, just for memories sake, and I am quickly learning that I can't keep up or write everything down. I decided the other day, when he said "Agador" (the neighbors' dog), that I could stop trying to get every word! But just for fun, here's what we've been hearing lately (not in any order). I'll put how he says it in parentheses, again, just for fun.:
mama/mommy, dada/daddy, nama, mawmaw,pawpaw,becca (said Beppa),brian (bine),dylan (din),I want a cup (iwunacup),I want ___ fill in the blank,I want to see (I unna see),candy,eat,snacks,elmo,blue,blues clues,choo choo,thomas (tos),brother,Jacob,Sean,Shockley (his teacher),please,stories,thank you (dank dank),pooh,bikes,outside,swing,fishies,down,aisle,up,moon,light,bath, bubbles, slide, up, up high, potty, open, close (blose), pizza (za), bowl, fork, apple, blueberry, strawberry, ball (ball ball), blocks, puzzle, tv, remote (mote), night night, by bye, please excused, eyes, feet, chips, pretzels, "si, me ama" (jesus loves me in spanish), Happy birthday (happy day), me, mine, ba (his blankie), binki, cup, boo boo, I got boo boo, airplane, no, yes (uh), east, west, green, red, mail box, juice box (box), m&m's, hot dog, cheese, chicken (chichen), that (dat), this (dis), ow, I need help (I ee help), baby, sheet, I got it, bob, church, stand up, button

I'm sure there's plenty more. He also likes to sing. Some of his favorites are "bob the builder", Veggie Tales, East to West (VBS song), Go and Trust the Lord (VBS song), Baobab Blast (another VBS song), Christo me ama (Jesus loves me in Spanish), ABC's. He's also pretty good at counting to 10 (although today I heard 1, 2, 3, 4, 8 :)

1 comment: