Thursday, April 2, 2009

The New Jacob

Our sweet, cuddly, calm Jacob is now gone....and now we have an active, opinionated, very determined little guy. Now that he can sit, he seems ever so slightly more content. But really, all he wants to be able to do is walk. If I'm sitting with him, he wants to be supported standing on his feet. He seems to be becoming very active (uh oh, another one). He pretty much demends being held all the time (we don't always give in, though.) And he's very much a mama's boy. He has also decided that he doesn't need baby food anymore. He's only been eating it for about a month and a half. He discovered that the rest of us are not eating off of a spoon, so he should not have to. In the last day or two he has also decided that he doesn't want to be fed...he wants to do it himself. I fear that if he's doing this at 6 months of age, he's going to become quite a stubborn little toddler! Everyone warned me that the second child would be a challenge - active and likely to introduce us to the ER (that's what our doctor said!). Up until recently I thought that maybe we had escaped that (and maybe had gone through it with child #1! We definitely met the ER with Matthew, a couple times!) At Jacob's first few visits to the doctor I told the doctor how calm Jacob was, and he kept telling me, "Just wait." Now I see why...

Here are Jacob's 6 month stats:
Weight: 17 lbs. 4 oz (only the 40th percentile...he's slowing down!)
Length: 27 inches (60th percentile)
Head circumference: 60th percentile - once again, I can't remember the measurement.

Last visit, all three measurements were equal, but now his weight has slowed down. This was about the time Matthew did the same thing. However, Matthew only weighed 18 1/2 lbs. at the age of 1, so Jacob is well ahead!
Here are some recent pictures.



Here is his six month picture.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Mary, he really does look like he is thinning out-I shouldn't say thin, but not as thick:)
Hopefully he won't take you to the ER more than Matthew has but I do remember Dr. Bird saying that most of the children that he saw in the ER were 2nd born. I guess if you are holding him all day, he won't have as much of a chance to get hurt, right??